Thursday, February 02, 2006




This month’s featured crafter is Zoë, a well known voice on the CrAftermath forum Zoë spin’s her own delicious yarn which she sells through her website www.hellomango.co.uk

*Who are you and what do you do? I am Zoë Ashton-Worsnop, 30 years old and from Hull. I spin yarn and crochet.

* What is the difference between an 'art' and a 'craft'? I see art as something that has a message behind it and is trying to convey that message through a multitude of different mediums. Craft in my eyes is a means to an end. You need to keep warm? You knit a jumper, although you do it in a beautiful fashion. I see what I and other likeminded people do as a cross between art and craft. I design my yarns and although I maybe don't have a message to convey with them there is a lot of thought there.

*What's your earliest crafting memory? Learning how to french knit with my Gran, she was very much hands on and never kept her hands still. I feel very proud to think I am carrying on that tradition.

*What was your best crafting moment? Finally understanding how to make the wool stick together and spin instead of just falling apart as soon as I let go.

* What was your worst crafting moment? I have to say that I haven’t ever had a horrible mess as I always find a use for most things that don't turn out how I expected. Even my first yarns, that were terrible really I used them in another way. I am sure I will have a disaster at some point, but I do tend to look on the bright side of everything and therefore find a use for most things.

*What is your favourite craft you've ever seen? Spinning, without a doubt. I love it.

*What are your crafting goals? To be able to make enough money out of my craft so I can stay at home for my son. I would love to teach other people the crafts I have mastered and help others find something they enjoy, the same way I enjoy them. I would also love to be able to open my own shop one day.

*What is your favourite craft supplier? EBAY! It has enabled me to do so much more than I could have done without it. I have access to international items such as crochet hooks and spinning equipment and it is easy to use, and fun!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Jayne said...

Hey, it's great to read a bit more about you Zoe :)
(I can't do the dots over the e thing, my best friend at school was called Zoe and I've never learned how to do it. It's so bad)

Was that picture of you spinning taken recently? If so, your toes must've been freeeeezing!!

9:51 am  
Blogger hellomango said...

Thanks! That picture was form last summer when I was able to spin outside in the warm sunshine! It was lovely.

Great feature, Sally!

4:39 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

I hadn't thought of the difference between art and craft before, but it has got me thinking. Great article.

8:30 pm  
Blogger natasha said...

famous!! and so cute, too!

3:19 am  
Blogger Van Cong Tu said...

thanks for sharing us. very nice blog

4:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home